March 31, 2010

Wednesday Woes


Wine or Whine. Which one?
Tonight I choose the latter. I had a rough day at work - as now I completely LOATHE children who eat. Because when they eat, they make a mess. When they make a mess, they expect someone else to clean it up. When you ask them to clean up their mess, that obviously means a food fight. Yes - this is the next generation. Ladies and Gentleman, brace yourself. Our future is looking grim in the eyes of the cafeteria. Though I teach high school, I am subjected to performing a duty throughout the day, and that God awful duty is in the cafe. A fate worse than death. I kid you not.
On that LOVELY note, I decided wine just wouldn't cut it tonight - so I decided to just sit and complain about it.

This poem pretty much sums up my day. humph.

Food Fight
We’d never seen the teachers
in a state of such distress.
The principal was yelling
that the lunchroom was a mess.

It started off so innocent
when someone threw a bun,
but all the other kids decided
they should join the fun.

It instantly turned into
an enormous lunchroom feud,
as students started hurling
all their halfway-eaten food.

A glob went whizzing through the air,
impacting on the wall.
Another chunk went sailing out
the doorway to the hall.

The food was splattered everywhere—
the ceilings, walls, and doors.
A sloppy, gloppy mess was on
the tables and the floors.

And so our good custodian
ran out to grab his mop.
It took him half the afternoon
to clean up all the slop.

The teachers even used some words
we’re not supposed to mention.
And that’s how all the kids and teachers
wound up in detention.

Text © Kenn Nesbitt, reprinted from When the Teacher Isn’t Looking published by Meadowbrook Press. Illustration © Mike Gordon.



Signature

0 hearts about my post: