March 17, 2010

St. Patrick's Day to the Non-Irish!!

I am not Irish, and sadly, I will never be. However, that doesn't mean that I can't celebrate! Any reason to throw a party or decorate, works for me. (And I suppose through marriage, I am very much Irish!). I can't believe I am attempting this to the public, but I don't know who St. Patrick is/was, and why people celebrate this day. To me(being un-Irish), I have always known this to be a day filled with good cheer and green beer. Clearly, I am missing something.

Putting the green dye aside, and for me that is hard (as I like to dye everything green starting March 1st), I have found the easiest recipe.

Last night I attempted to make my own Irish Soda Bread, and with only six ingredients, it seemed too easy!

Adapted from Allrecipes.com
Easy Irish Soda Bread


Ingredients
4 cups of flour
4 tablespoons of white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup buttermilk

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, white sugar, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir in egg and buttermilk (1 cup). Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an X into the top of the loaf.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes into clean, about 30-50 minutes. You may continue to brush bread while it bakes.

I am proud to say that the bread was delicious!!

Enjoy your St. Patrick's Day!!




Signature

0 hearts about my post: