May 16, 2008

Adventures in Weddingland

Seeing this inspiration board on one of my favorite websites Style Me Pretty, makes me think of my high school English teacher and the W.H AUden poem I had to memorize....The actual poem is Funeral Blues (which is NOT wedding material) - However, I do remember reciting this poem into my dresser mirror for days, because I loathed public speaking. I probably could, if prompted still recite it. So here it is......sadness and all.

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.
Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He is Dead.
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.
He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.
The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods;
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-- W.H. Auden

SECOND thought. Maybe it is wedding material (obviously not to be recited at a wedding) but that you could love someone so much, that your world is forever altered when they exit. I remember feeling this horrible pain in my stomache, just this wave of sadness when I had to read it - but I just loved it. My favorite lines are the last four. I just have this image of someone coming down and packing everything up, as if we are just a minature version - or a dollhouse. Now that the story died, pack it up, pack it in.....

On a lighter note -

The board itself got me thinking - What is an inspiration board? Could I make my own?
By definition it is : a board filled with images that have a theme (oh my! as if it was made for me!)
haha. I had to laugh after typing that definition because it is the most DUH defined word. oh well.

0 hearts about my post: