February 04, 2010

Wear your heart on your sleeve

According to Goenglish.com (might I add a very reputable source for idioms) wearing your heart on your sleeve means:

People who wear their heart on their sleeve express their emotions freely and openly, for all to see. Example: "She is kind of player who never hides how she's feeling. One look at her and you know if she's winning or losing." Reply: "She wears her heart on her sleeve."

You can see how these people feel as easily as if they were "wearing" their "heart" on the "sleeve" of their shirt. Example: "Some people love him and some people hate him, but my brother always lets you know how he feels. He wears his heart on his sleeve."

People who wear their heart on their sleeve do not hold back their emotions, for good or for bad. It is clear how they feel in each moment. Example: "She's a shy person. She's never been one to wear her heart on her sleeve."

Why wouldn't we want to wear our hearts out on the open? Except for fear, what else is stopping you? (and I think perhaps that is reason enough for most people). However, I believe if you feel it, show it.
As I was ever avoiding work, I found Planet Pudge, who knows exactly how to wear her heart. Perhaps my love for this woman stemmed from her self-description, "an over-caffeinated, creative-deprived mom in search of fun, modern clothes for her two little girls. Sick of the same old mass-produced stuff, she started fanatically drawing, cutting, obsessing over fabrics and hand-stitching everything (much to the dismay of her calloused middle finger). "

My FAVORITE shirt is Apple of My Eye


Yet another cutie petutie shirt.......think of all the possibilities you could do with scrap fabric!


Or if you are more literal, here's the shirt for you.

Emily Penso not only designs and prints her own shirts, but also creates and paints her own jewelry. Her art work reminds me of cartoons from the Black Plague, dark yet inspiring. It may just be the bird man on her homepage, that reminds me of doctors from 1900's. Not sure if my taste is the same as her artwork, but I do love the tree earrings.

Lesson for today: Express your emotions. Don't be afraid to wear your heart out for all to see. Just maybe not literally.....

Signature

1 hearts about my post:

Arlene said...

AWW very cute shirts!!!