February 04, 2010

Not your typical sandwich

I never was a peanut butter and jelly type of girl. I loathed jelly as a child, so my mother would put other foods matched with PB. Since then, I have grown an appreciation for jelly or jam, but I still do not like the two to co-mingle.
Thankfully, my husband has come to understand this quirk -and also will slice apples if making PB sandwiches. But one thing I didn't try - and for the sake of dessert, I would be willing to try it out....Peanut Butter and Jam Ice Cream Sandwiches.
Since there seems to be a snowstorm approaching, this dessert will satisfy any cravings of desserts and lunch. And perhaps instead of a boring ole' sandwich, this is what I will have tomorrow at noon.

You will need the following:

1 18-ounce roll refrigerated peanut butter cookie dough
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons preserves, such as raspberry, cherry, or strawberry)
1 pint vanilla bean ice cream

Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Knead flour into cookie dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 13-1/2x9-inch rectangle. Cut into 1-1/2-inch squares. Transfer to ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and tops are browned. Cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack.

Place 1 teaspoon jam or preserves on flat side of 1 cookie. Place a small scoop of ice cream (about 1-1/2 tablespoons) on jam. Top with another cookie, flat side down, and press lightly. Repeat with remaining cookies, jam, and ice cream (there will be extra cookies).

Wrap and freeze 4 to 48 hours. Makes 16 sandwiches and 22 extra cookies.

*If I do try this recipe out - I will definitely take pics! **

WARNING: RANT AHEAD.
Since I am thinking of PB and Jelly, I am not sold on the peanut butter and jelly spatula. Cute, sure! Practical, no. Why would you spend $8.99 when you can use a perfectly good knife you have at home? However, here it is.....if you are overcome with the need to waste $10 - this is where you could pick this item up. (I might add that my husband really likes this utensil. and that is no joke)

Now to end this post on a happy note....as a kid I also loved the song Peanut Butter and Jelly - which for those that don't know, went through the actual process of how to make peanut b and jelly sandwich. very techincal :)

First you take the peanuts
And you crunch 'em, You crunch 'em
First you take the peanuts
And you crunch 'em, You crunch 'em
For your peanut, peanut butter
And jelly
Peanut, peanut butter And jelly
Then you take the grapes
And you squish 'em, You squish 'em
Then you take the grapes
And you squish 'em, You squish 'em
For your peanut, peanut butter And jelly
Peanut, peanut butter And jelly
Then you take the bread
And you spread it, You spread it
Then you take the bread
And you spread it, You spread it
For your peanut, peanut butter And jelly
Peanut, peanut butter And jelly
Then you take your sandwich
And you eat it, You eat it
Then you take your sandwich
And you eat it, You eat it

I'm pretty sure that MY lyrics were neverending...but this will have to do :) In my version, you not only picked the grapes but squashed. Then you crunched the peanuts. Again, very technical.

1 hearts about my post:

Julie said...

Hey- you should try as a sandwich: peanut butter, honey, and banana. YUM!