February 03, 2010

I love solid and liquid cupcakes


Today is my 3rd favorite day of the week. Simply because I have a little time to myself, and I sample wines for the good of the blog....or the good of me.

After jetting out of my work, and throwing my belongings in the car at a record speed, I nearly crushed the pastry gift my husband had left for me while I was at work. Strategically in the driver's seat. I almost had an accident. Not the kind that you would want to explain to anyone why you have icing in the cracks of your pants. What made it all better was the note attached, "Sweets for my sweetie." **sigh**

However, cupcakes and mini cannolis were my passengers for the ride home. Perfect side dish to my liquid dinner later. Cupcakes and wine.

I discovered Cupcake vineyards a few weeks ago after stopping at a bakery, then a liquor store (probably my two favorite places next to my parent's house and Target). I thought to myself "How clever to eat AND drink cupcakes!" But alas, I only ate cupcakes that evening. So a few weeks later (today), I decided my husband gave me the perfect opportunity to match my two favorite things.

I went home and cozied myself next to drafty window (how poetic), and opened up my bottle of wine for one. Then I peeled a cupcake, and voila! Heaven!

I tried the Cupcake Riesling - which was smooth and citrusy. I loved it. I checked out the website just moments ago, and it perhaps made my love grow. They have cupcake recipes to match with their wines. Seriously. I have attached the recipe from the website, and just as they stated, it "pairs perfectly". **deep sigh**

~ Pairs Perfectly with Cupcake Vineyards Riesling ~



1 ½ cups all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup finely chopped toasted hazelnuts
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon minced fresh or dried rosemary leaves
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
¾ cup sugar
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ cup sour cream
Candied flowers or fresh rosemary leaves (garnish)


1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners, if using. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a small bowl. Add the hazelnuts, Parmesan, lemon zest and rosemary; toss to combine.

2. In a large mixing bowl beat the egg and egg yolk and the sugar until very light and creamy, about 5 minutes. Add the olive oil in a thin stream beating constantly until blended. Blend in the sour cream.

3. Using a rubber spatula or the slowest speed on electric mixture add the flour mixture. Mix just until blended.

4. Fill each cup ¾ full with batter. Bake mini cupcakes 18 to 20 minutes and full size cupcakes 25 to 30 minutes, or until pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.

5. Spread or pipe icing (1 cup of very cold sour cream) on the cooled cupcakes. Garnish with candied flowers or rosemary leaves.

Makes 12 to 14 standard cupcakes and 48 mini cupcakes

I may have to try this recipe this weekend, and perhaps stop at the store for a fresh bottle of Riesling - and put their cupcakes to the test. Here's to the letter C!

Signature

0 hearts about my post: