July 04, 2013

Gimme S'more of that Mess

First off, I have a love-hate relationship with s'mores. I love the idea of them, but it somehow ends up not only on my fingers, but in my hair, up my nose, and once in my ear. I don't know. Clearly I can't control my hands, and I guess I touch my face more often than I realize...But a summer without the graham cracker, mallow and chocolate mix doesn't quite seem like a summer. 

To prevent the blinding marshmallow mess that usually ensues during the 4th day in July, I thought maybe I would make S'more bars to prevent any embarrassing facial messes. I adapted the recipe from Sally's Kitchen, and came up with a sticky mess. Somehow what I made, looked NOTHING like what she created.
 I felt like I am on Pinterest Fail (a wildly amusing site that I wished I thought of!) Basically, it's where  "good intentions come to die." With that motto, I wish I could squeeze the girl that writes this blog and call her my new best friend. I literally pee with laughter when I see the contributing pictures  ....well maybe not literally pee, but I'm peeing on the inside. Just thinking about the hanging string ball or the "Bake a heart into a cupcake" makes me giggle all over again. 
But I digress.....
This recipe did NOT in any way turn out the way I thought it would look....I guess that's mainly because I had measuring and don't fallow directions that well.  However, they taste AMAZING!! The additional peanut butter chip was a great  add-on. 

S'More Cookie Bar

1 stick of melted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
1 cup flour
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 and 1/4 cup chocolate chips
a whole bag of mini marshmallows (maybe this was my downfall?)
half bag of peanut chips
8oz of sweetened condensed milk


  1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line 8x8 tray with parchment paper and spray.  **This is important - I used a tray WAY to big, and ran out of mix......** This recipe makes enough for a family of four, or one person who has a serious addiction problem with sweet treats. 

  1. Cream the butter and brown sugar together on medium speed. Beat for about 2 minutes until smooth and combined. Add the vanilla extract and egg, beating until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl down as needed. Set aside.

  1. Toss the flour, graham cracker crumbs, and baking powder together until combined. With the mixer running on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.

I used a 9x13 pan because that's all I had at the shore - DON'T do that unless you make more mix


  1. Press 2/3 of the graham cookie dough into prepared pan. Cover the layer with the mini marshmallows. The sprinkle with chocolate chips. 





 I covered half with just chocolate chips and the other half of the tray with peanut butter chips and chocolate chips.

Drizzle the entire can of sweetened condensed milk on top. 

  1. Bake the bars for 22 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden brown. Allow to cool completely before cuttng into squares.

*These taste amazing, but don't have the look appeal. But really, does it matter if it looks good? It doesn't look that fabulous once my teeth mash it up!*

Instead of neat little squares, they came out more like oblong misshapen messes - BUT they were fantastic.
Signature

0 hearts about my post: