January 04, 2011

Date Night Rejuvenated

How predictable am I? My first few posts of the year are typically about what I would like to accomplish....lose...create...find...restore..read..so on and so on.
If I was to list all of my 2011 goals, it would be overwhelming not only for me to type but for the reader (you my little darlings) as well! And since I am not here to torture you, I decided to spare you the nitty gritty and get on with my life/year.

One goal I  WOULD like to mention is  Date Night (and I definitely  am not referring to the movie..thought it was good).  Before the vow exchange, Mr. and I would go on "dates" every month.  Not just your movie and dinner date (we had those too), but like an actual planned out date - whether it was to a bed and breakfast, musuem, scavenger hunt, bird watching - we had actual legit dates.  It was fantastic and romantic.  Then we got married....dunt dunt dun.  That seriously seemed like the end all and be all of our fun times. Who knew?!

2011. Let that be our year to reconnect (Are you there B? It's me, your wife).  I would like to bring back the inventive date nights/days/weekends.  If that means we will have to say no to some other plans, or not attend every practice or game, or not tutor as much - then so be it!  I can handle that - and I think the people around us can handle it too.

According to a recent study, just the plain ole' dinner and a movie isn't enough anymore to keep marriages sparkling.    According to NY Times, "Rather than visiting the same familiar haunts and dining with the same old friends, couples need to tailor their date nights around new and different activities that they both enjoy, says Arthur Aron, a professor of social psychology at the State University of New York at Stony Brook. The goal is to find ways to keep injecting novelty into the relationship. The activity can be as simple as trying a new restaurant or something a little more unusual or thrilling — like taking an art class or going to an amusement park."

I think we can handle that....I'm going to put my thinking  headband on (I like to wear it like Rambo), and brainstorm neat-o things to do in January....and Mr. can plan for February !! (hint hint!)
Signature

1 hearts about my post:

Sunny said...

Sorry, I can't agree that having a "date night" is what keeps marriages alive.

This is the second marriage for both of us, and we have been married 20 years. What keeps our marriage going for me is the person I married.